We all want to use the safest and most effective products in our homes and around our families. Walk down the cleaning supplies aisle in your local supermarket and you’ll discover an enormous array of products – many of them familiar to you from advertisements. With so many choices and such aggressive promotion, it’s tough to figure out what you really need to clean your home and which products may do more harm than good. The reality is that the toxic chemicals found in most conventional cleaning products – even those that claim to be “natural” – are linked with all kinds of health concerns. For example, pine and citrus-based cleaners contain a class of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) known as terpenes. Terpenes may also be found in other cleaning products and air fresheners that contain other essential oils for fragrance. They can react with ozone to form formaldehyde, an asthmagen and known human carcinogen. Other toxic chemicals used in common household products are linked to a shocking number of health risks like asthma, allergies, endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity, cancer, burns, and poisonings.
You may have heard that Vital Oxide is an all-in-one EPA-registered hospital disinfectant, cleaner, sanitizer, mold and mildew remover, and allergen and odor eliminator. Lately, Vital Oxide has been making headlines all over the world because of its versatility, effectiveness, and approval by the EPA for use against SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that causes the disease COVID-19. But is Vital Oxide safe? What are the ingredients? And what makes Vital Oxide different from other products?
We’ve got the details for you here.
Vital Oxide’s Hero Ingredient: Chlorine Dioxide
Vital Oxide harnesses the power of oxygen – in the form of stabilized chlorine dioxide – to create a fast-acting, environmentally-friendly, effective broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent.
Chlorine dioxide is a versatile disinfectant that was introduced to the U.S. in the 1940s to disinfect drinking water. And while it has chlorine in its name, it’s very different from chlorine bleach. Unlike bleach, which has a harsh odor and forms trihalomethanes when mixed with water, making it extremely corrosive – chlorine dioxide breaks down into water, oxygen, and common table salt, making it much less corrosive to surfaces and more versatile in a variety of application situations.
Chlorine dioxide (CLO2) is considered an excellent bactericide, fungicide and antimicrobial agent. But how does it work? CLO2 is a strong oxidant that works by removing a single electron from other compounds during a chemical reaction. By taking electrons from microbes, the microbe’s molecular bonds weaken and the cell breaks apart. This process alters the proteins involved in their structure and decreases enzyme function, thus resulting in the death of the microbe. This attack on many proteins simultaneously prevents the microorganisms from mutating and developing resistance.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognizes chlorine dioxide use as a drinking water disinfectant, and it is included in the World Health Organization’s (WHO) Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality. Chlorine dioxide has also been used during Anthrax attacks, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, to disinfect hospitals and other healthcare environments, in food processing, and most recently to help combat SARS-CoV-2.
Safe to Use Around the Home
A heavy duty odor and allergen eliminator, carpet sanitizer (awarded the Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI) Seal of Approval, Vital Oxide is also effective at sanitizing carpets and removing pet odors), and a mold and mildew remover with up to six months residual effectiveness. Vital Oxide’s non-corrosive and non-irritating formula is gentle on the skin.
Vital Oxide has no added fragrances, dyes, or preservatives, no skin or respiratory allergens or irritants. It has no harmful chemicals, toxic residues or fumes, and earns the lowest toxicity level that the EPA gives for pesticide (disinfectant) applications – Category 4 – which means that you don’t need to wear a mask, gloves, or any other personal protection equipment while applying it. You can even spray down your cutting board, countertop, or other food prep surface to clean and sanitize without having to rinse. Vital Oxide is NSF certified D2 (No Rinse Required) as a food contact surface sanitizer, and kills 99.999% of bacteria, including common foodborne illnesses like E. coli and Salmonella. You can also use it to safely clean and deodorize your funky yoga mat, smelly sneakers, fido’s stinky squeaky toy, bad smelling baby gear, and more, no rinsing needed. Simply spray and walk away.
Safe to Use on Virtually Any Surface
Vital Oxide is non-irritating to the skin and non-corrosive to treated articles. It’s also colorless, odorless, and will not harm water-safe fabrics. Vital Oxide can be used on countertops, in the fridge, on children’s toys, on luggage, in the bathroom, on bedding and furniture, in the car, on airplanes, in classrooms and on school buses, and more. The possibilities are endless.
Vital Oxide is an Environmentally-Friendly Choice
After use, Vital Oxide’s hero ingredient, chlorine dioxide, breaks down into water, oxygen, and simple salt, making it an excellent environmental choice. And because it replaces bleach, conventional disinfectants, ammonia-based glass cleaners, deodorizers, and kitchen and bathroom cleaners, you can eliminate the need for all that extra plastic, too. With Vital Oxide, you get powerful cleaning and disinfecting without all the harmful ingredients. It’s the only product you’ll ever need!
Learn more about the science behind our product, as well as tons of great tips on cleaning, disinfecting, and more. If you have any questions, please Contact Us or Send Us a Message on Facebook. We’re here to help.